https://availdermatology.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/skincarerituals.jpg 560 858 lizzi /wp-content/uploads/2021/10/avail-epi-logo.png lizzi2018-02-21 20:08:072020-02-20 21:40:036 Skincare Rituals to Fight the Cold
6 Skincare Rituals to Fight the Cold
Developing – and practicing – good skincare routines is the cornerstone of maintaining healthy, supple skin throughout your life. But that doesn’t mean your skincare routine shouldn’t change with the seasons. Winter’s cold, dry air can wreak havoc on your skin. Changing up your skincare rituals can help your skin retain the moisture it needs to stay healthy, soft, and looking young. Here are six rituals to add to your wintertime skincare routine:
- Swap your cleanser for a gentler one. Lots of soaps and cleansers can dry skin, and in the dry, dry winter, even oily skin can start to become irritated and flaky. Use a gentler moisturizer that offers hydration without clogging your pores, and rinse thoroughly when you’re done.
- Slather on the moisturizer. Gone are the days of heavy, greasy lotions that made you feel sticky all day long. Today’s moisturizers penetrate your skin more quickly to nourish skin while locking in moisture. Use a moisturizer on your body after showering and put a layer on before bed for deep moisturizing. Keep hand cream with you to use throughout the day.
- Drink plenty of water. Skin needs hydration from the inside to stay healthy and supple. Drink plenty of water each day, and cut back on coffee, tea, soda, and caffeinated energy drinks that can actually rob your skin (and your whole body) of moisture.
- Use a humidifier. It’s great to feel snug and cozy inside when the weather outside is cold and nasty. But indoor heat can be just as drying as cold outdoor air, which means your skin never gets a break. Using a humidifier to add some moisture back into your air helps skin retain moisture and avoid flaking. Consider running a humidifier in the evening while you’re relaxing before bed.
- Limit hot showers and baths. Yes, a hot, steamy shower or a long soak in the tub may feel great when it’s cold out, but all that water can leach moisture from your skin pretty quickly. Limit the time you spend in the shower and tub, use warm – not hot – water, and don’t forget to moisturize when you get out.
- Use sunscreen every day. It can’t be emphasized enough – sunscreen is important for slowing down the signs of aging and for preventing skin cancer. You need sunscreen all year round, no matter how cold it is, and you need it on cloudy days too. UV rays can penetrate cloud cover – they can even travel through window glass. Some moisturizers and foundations contain sunscreen to help keep your skincare routine simple.
Tried these tips and you’re still plagued by dry skin? It could be another problem, like eczema. Contact Avail Dermatology today and schedule an office visit so we can help you develop the optimal skincare routine for a lifetime of healthy, beautiful skin.